[Web4lib] Common queries and common misspellings

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Fri Feb 17 21:09:42 EST 2006

Karen,

I blogged this item recently.. see
http://drweb.typepad.com/dwdomain/2006/02/typographical_e.html

"Typographical errors in library databases
by Terry Ballard
Revised February 2, 2006
by Tina Gunther and Terry Ballard

This list started as a byproduct of a keyword inspection of the online
catalog of Adelphi University in 1991. That study was inspired by a
cataloger at Harvard named Jeffrey Beall, who found errors in the Library of
Congress catalog, and reported on a list of test words in the journal
American Libraries. Early in the process I found that words appearing more
than once in the Adelphi catalog were almost always found in other OPACs of
similar size or larger."

Hope that helps..

Best,
Michael

--
P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
mailto:drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/

Quote of the Moment:
 There are two kinds of pedestrians -- the quick and the dead.
Friday, February 17, 2006 6:06:55 PM