[Web4lib] Common queries and common misspellings

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 17:41:05 EST 2006

Karen,

Yes, I've played with Wordtracker.  They have an interesting slant on search
engine optimization -- helping you find keywords that are moderately
popular, not extremely popular.  The theory is that extremely popular terms,
found at the "short head" of the Zipf curve (as opposed to the newly-famous
"long tail" of the curve) are unlikely to benefit you much.  If you make
sure the word "research" appears on a university page, for instance, that's
such a common search term that it's unlikely to benefit you, unless you've
got MIT or Stanford's PageRank.

Obviously SEO is not what you're pursuing with this study.  Maybe the
Wordtracker people would help you with your quest?

A naughty project that I've been tempted to try before is searching for
popular misspellings on prominent Web sites.  You would not believe how many
very prominent places publish online calenders.

/rich