[Web4lib] Wikis, access control, calendars

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:29:30 EDT 2006

Some have requested I post a summary of responses to the list, so bon appetit!

1) Wikis:

MediaWiki had the most recommendations.  I installed MediaWiki, and got it up and running without too much trouble.  The notion of creating a new page by creating a link to the new page really threw me for a loop initially, but once I got past that, it's been rather nice to use.  In just two days, I've added enough content to see *great* potential for its use in the library.

The following Wikis were also recommended:
MoinMoin (requires some work to make it pretty)
Instiki (uses Ruby)
Confluence ($$$ but apparently worth it)
TWiki

2) Access Control:
Deny all / Allow <subnet> (set up in web server)

3) Calendar:
Not too much on this front. Actually, pickings are relatively slim for a locally hosted web-based calendar, so it seems.  I checked out a few, including WebCalendar (http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php) and Plans (http://www.planscalendar.com).  They were fairly similar.  I will probably test-drive them both.