[Web4lib] Wikis, access control, calendars

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Aug 8 09:42:33 EDT 2006

Francis Kayiwa wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2006, at 2:03 PM, Keith D. Engwall wrote:
>
>> Dear Web4lib,
>>
>> After the wonderful Technology Summit in Charlotte last Thursday, I've
>> gotten the go ahead to create an internal Wiki at our library.
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) Can anyone recommend an in-house wiki that is particularly user
>> friendly (and pretty)?  I've looked at a few, but would appreciate
>> hearing from anyone who's actually implemented one.
>
> If it weren't for the *ahem* licensing *cough cough*... Confluence
> seems to have lots of snazzy looking "clicky" buttons :-). I have
> currently set up numerous wiki's for various units here. My goal is to
> move them ALL from MediaWiki to Twiki (decision based on local
> expertise)... Currently Mediawiki meets our requirements.
We've been using Confluence and it's companion issue tracking system
called Jira for about a year and a half and have been very pleased.  I
initially implemented it with the intention of using it for our IT
department but within a few days others involved in some of our IT
projects saw it and wanted accounts as well.  We decided to go for the
unlimited user license but restricted write access somewhat to just
those in our unit library and the colleges that we support.  A month or
so ago we extended usage to the University Library system (20 different
libraries).  We have ~300 registered users, about 70 different project
spaces, and well over 3000 pages (over 10,000 if you count versions of
pages).

Yes, it's not free, but we've found that it's well worth the price and
support is extremely good.  They use their Issue tracking system to
track bugs, enhancements, support requests, and they monitor it
closely.  Anyone can submit an issue request and Atlassian actually
demonstrates accountability that every issue is resolved to the
submitters satisfaction.