[Web4lib] Federated search products and FullText/PeerReviewlimiting

Karen Harker Karen.Harker at UTSouthwestern.edu
Mon Apr 24 13:15:51 EDT 2006

What's good about LFP is that it can be applied to vendor or even the
title level, whereas with other link resolvers, it is an all-or-nothing
setting.  Some vendors are quite trustworthy and we can feel secure in
sending the user directly to the full-text.  Others are definitely not
so, or LFP does not have the best configuration.  I would highly
recommend that all link resolvers make this feature available at the
title or at least vendor level.

Karen R. Harker, MLS
UT Southwestern Medical Library
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas, TX  75390-9049
214-648-8946
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/library/

>>> Eric Hellman <eric at openly.com> 4/24/2006 11:22 AM >>>

In our system, there are 3 modes configurable by the library
autoredirect=off  --- always show the link-server page
autoredirect=single  --- this means redirect if there is one and only
one 'best' link
autoredirect=best    --- redirect to the first 'best' link found even
if there are multiple high quality links; links can be ordered by
preferred providers

I believe that Endeavor's LinkFinderPlus was the first commercial
OpenURL resolver that touted this sort of capability.

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly
Informatics Division