[Web4lib] Federated search products and FullText/PeerReviewlimiting

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Mon Apr 24 16:49:38 EDT 2006

Way back on April 18, Roy Tennant wrote:

>Even better would be to have the ability to limit search results to
>full-text resources, but as has been said here that is still
>difficult and often out of our hands (vendors need to support it). So
>no, the problem is far from solved, at least from the perspective of
>good user service.

Ever the consistent and insightful scribe, Roy documented the advantages
of this kind of limit function brilliantly a few years ago in "The Trouble
with Online" <http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA452319/>, and I have
been hung up on  it ever since Roy's article and grimacing through a
particular rash of comments in a survey here around the same time that
included zingers like "don't show it to me unless you can deliver it NOW".
The "full text" status workarounds involving images and so on that have
emerged on this thread are well worth pursuing, and are a big step forward
from the "click and hope" model that resolvers seem to represent now. But
the idea of scoping results based on availability might conceivably be