[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Apr 12 17:49:00 EDT 2006

Drew, Bill wrote:

> Its going to suck if any of us do it!  What needs to be done is to
> improve the placement of OpenWorldCat in Google searches.  OpenWorldCat
> is the closest thing we have to a free world wide union catalog.  If
> myst udents find records for books in just your library, it is of no
> benefit to any of us.  I remember when all of the book records showed up
> in gopher searches as some one mentioned earlier.  That was pretty bad.

It will be pretty bad if only one library does this, and that is
what happened in the Gopher days.  If I search for Shakespeare's
Hamlet and all I find is a copy at some public library in Kansas,
it's going to be pretty weird.  Today if I search Google for the
exact phrase "here are some pictures of my kitten" I get 18 hits
and "one hour before the library closes" gives 215 hits.  This is
a much richer (thicker, fatter) web than ten years ago, and search
engines need to find the most relevant among all potential hits.

Geographic distance might be a useful filtering criterion, if the
search engine can compute the geographic distance between me and
the object described in the web pages.  Then if every public
library had their catalog indexed, the search engine could present
the hits that are closest to me, and I wouldn't have to bother
about the other ones.  If I don't see Kansas, it's not so bad.

I'm not really suggesting that we all do this with today's Google,
but the principle of finding library books in the same user
interface as the rest of the world-wide web shouldn't be alien.
But then it would also have to be something more useful than
today's OpenWorldCat.

OpenWorldCat, RedLightGreen or Wikipedia, if they were closer to
an IMDb.com for books, might serve as a stepping stone in a web
search process, where I can learn that there are many translations
and editions of Shakespeare's Hamlet, before I refine my search.

The other day I added a paragraph to the Swedish Wikipedia's
article on Jack London, enumerating the various Swedish
translations of "The Call of the Wild".  This information could be
found in the Swedish union catalog, but it was hard to dig out.
The information is much more accessible now, in the Wikipedia
article.  No less than 12 translations into Swedish by different
translators have appeared between 1907 and 1999 of this novel
alone, using two different titles,
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_London

Suppose we had this kind of information, easily navigable, for all
authors, titles, translations, translators, editions,
illustrators, with links to reviews and criticisms.  How were the
12 Swedish translations of the Call of the Wild received by
Swedish newspapers of the time?  How many copies were sold of each
edition?  The solution for the future cannot be that every library
catalogs (= keeps inventory of) the books in their collection, but
a unified global project where we accumulate the sum of human
knowledge about books.  Maybe it's OpenWorldCat, maybe not.  I can
make contributions to Wikipedia, but WorldCat is Closed to me.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)