[Web4lib] google & library catalogs

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Wed Apr 12 18:10:57 EDT 2006

> Swedish newspapers of the time?  How many copies were sold of each
> edition?  The solution for the future cannot be that every library
> catalogs (= keeps inventory of) the books in their collection, but
> a unified global project where we accumulate the sum of human
> knowledge about books.  Maybe it's OpenWorldCat, maybe not.  I can
> make contributions to Wikipedia, but WorldCat is Closed to me.

It seems almost insane, and certainly archaic, that in 2006 every library
has copies of a record for a book. I agree with Lars' statement--"Maybe it's
OpenWorldCat, maybe not"--but also with his statement that "The solution for
the future cannot be that every library catalogs (= keeps inventory of) the
books in their collection," insofar as he is referring to a local copy of a
centralized record.

Karen G. Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com