[Web4lib] Open Library (Can't Listen to Audio)

Franco, Adrienne AFranco at iona.edu
Fri Oct 28 13:54:43 EDT 2005

I opened one of the books at Open Library (An International Episode) and
clicked on the link "Listen to the Book Read Aloud".  After doing this,
a windows media box opened and it appeared audio file was loading
(though message kept going back and forth between "connecting ....."
and "opening ..." but no playlist ever appeared.  Then a box popped up
which said:

"Windows Media Cannot Play any items in this playlist. For additional
information, right-click an item that cannot be played, and then click
"Error-Details""

Since there is no playlist, I couldn't do this.
I then downloaded newer version of windows media and tried again with
exactly the same results.

Since windows media player software was automatically launched when I
clicked on "Listen to the Book ....." link, I assume this is a
requirement to listen (???)

Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?  Is anyone else
having this problem?

Adrienne Franco
Reference & Instructional Services Librarian
Iona College Libraries
715 North Ave.
New Rochelle, NY 10801-1890
(914) 633-2348