[Web4lib] Authority + Wikipedia

Peter Morville morville at semanticstudios.com
Wed Oct 12 14:14:26 EDT 2005

Thanks for surfacing this important point Karen. Information that's hard to
find will remain information that's hardly found. And, as evidence-based
studies have shown (see below), even within the realm of scholarly research,
articles that are freely available online, and therefore more findable, are
much more highly cited...which to me, suggests an important link between
findability and authority. The scholarly researchers that are most commonly
cited tend to have the most authority within academia.

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/online-nature01/

http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/staff/kaantelm/do_open_access_CRL.pdf

Cheers!

Peter Morville