[Web4lib] Flu Wiki, who needs it?

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Mon Oct 3 16:19:45 EDT 2005

Hi, David,

I'm not seeing anything on FluWiki that denigrates the CDC at all. Indeed,
there are 110 pages in FluWiki that link to or mention CDC activities and
resources. They seem to link to all the resources you mentioned on pages
like:
<http://www.fluwikie.com/index.php?n=Geographic.ServiceUnitedStatesofAmerica>

They have a statement that seems (to me) to explain and justify the
perceived conflict.

"No one, in any health department or government agency, knows all the
things needed to cope with an influenza pandemic. But it is likely someone
knows something about some aspect of each of them and if we can pool and
share our knowledge we can advance preparation for and the ability to cope
with events. This is not meant to be a substitute for planning,
preparation and implementation by civil authorities, but a parallel effort
that complements, supports and extends those efforts."
<http://www.fluwikie.com/>

I do see the DemFromCT response on you blog page, but the person speaking
is not identified. Who knows? The actual FluWiki organizers might be
horrified at  what s/he says. We have no way of knowing if the respondent
is affiliated in the way they imply.

Regarding your blogged comment, "While the site's purpose is more as an
information service for preparedness, an open wiki from a non-health or
science agency is the very last kind of Web site anyone should use as a
expert source for health or scientific information," I disagree.

By allowing open public commentary from interested parties, wikis have the
potential to create a more dynamic and immediate dialog on any given
topic. Sure, someone might say something that isn't accurate, and then
other people will jump on it and say WHY it isn't accurate, the dialog
gets going, and people who are not expert are more likely to understand
the big picture of the concern. I don't see a problem with someone posting
inaccurate information, UNLESS those who know better just sit there and
don't say anything. I think the public stands to learn more and understand
better and be *less* susceptible to quackery if it is freely discussed in
an open forum.

I am very happy to see some health wikis on important topics. One of the
key struggles in providing medical information to the public has been
defining authority and trust. The professional medical community rightly
wants to limit information to what they are sure is accurate.  Sometimes
this contributes to delays in releasing information on innovative
treatments or areas of inquiry. Some health care consumers see this as
biased censorship, and respond by not trusting the primary experts. Public
wikis offer a way to provide point and counterpoint discussions, and
hopefully engender a more trusted health information environment.

I'm not personally expert enough to say whether the FluWiki itself has
sound content. I will however go on record as being thrilled at the effort
and the potential it represents for shared dialog about a major health
concern.

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu
<http://www.mlaguidetohealth.org/>