[Web4lib] Flu Wiki, who needs it?

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 1 23:29:51 EDT 2005

I blogged the Flu Wiki and criticized it. One of the developers responded. I knew the first sentence couldn't be true: "... if there were such a site run by, let’s say, CDC, we wouldn’t need a Flu Wiki. it is precisely because CDC does not that we do." A Google for "pandemic site:gov" revealed the CDC's very thorough and authoritative site on influenza/pandemic preparedness, including a special page on the bird flu. Many state- and municipal/regional-level governments also have public health agencies that provide current information on influenza prevention and outbreaks. Here're two examples from Massachusetts (http://www.mass.gov/dph/cdc/epii/flu/pandemic.htm) and King County, Washington (http://www.metrokc.gov/prepare/preparerespond/hazardsdisasters/flu.aspx), from the first page of Google hits. If you Google "influenza pandemic" or "flu pandemic" you'll also get the World Health Organization site on pandemic preparedness (http://www.who.int/csr/disease/influenza/pandemic/en/) on the first page.

You can read my blog entry and comments at http://www.davidmattison.ca/wordpress/?p=1409

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca