[Web4lib] A common filesystem framework

Alexander Johannesen alexander.johannesen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 21:56:05 EST 2005

Folks,

Over the years I've developed my own handy-dandy filesystem structure
which I've used in various places I've worked, with great results in
terms of reuse of data, tools and ideas. I'd like to discuss with you
if this is something we should try to formalise and perhaps test out,
in the hope of pushing better sharing of ideas and projects and
development around.

It is quite simple; it's a way to structure some directories (with
conventions), and a way to name files within specific parts of that
structure, not unlike the way a Java J2EE app has a set of file and
directory conventions to make it go, or the *nix filesystems, or any
other similar filesystem structuring to gain intrisit knowledge.

Kevin Clarke mentioned that the folks at http://www.ockham.org/ have
done something similar, so I guess this is as much a question for them
as for anyone else.

Anyway, let me know if there is any interest in a common filesystem
structure to help us in sharing projects, libraries and data.

Regards,

Alex
--
"Ultimately, all things are known because you want to believe you know."
                                                         - Frank Herbert