[Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?

Dale Askey daskey at ksu.edu
Thu Nov 3 11:29:27 EST 2005

I have to second Karen's objection to the statement she quotes from
Peter's article. Such uncritical hyperbolic statements about Google's
undertaking really need to stop. One wishes that people both on this
list and elsewhere were so uncritically enthusiastic about libraries'
efforts to tackle large projects. We flagellate ourselves bloody picking
on our own shortcomings, yet some choose to greet Google with the
rose-colored specs firmly placed on their noses.

Google already restricts the ability of users in other countries to see
certain texts in Google Print, and their recent "launch" of
international Google Print sites just puts some fancy window dressing on
an ugly rights problem. Moreover, Google Print clearly has an anglophone
bent, ignoring the fact that many of the "world's greatest works" have
appeared in languages that currently can't easily be dealt with in a
project such as Google's (Fraktur or Arabic, anyone?).

Google Print is not "amazing" (except in the sense that it's amazingly
frustrating in its inconsistency), it's an interesting start into
something much larger and complex than even mighty Google can imagine.
In a few years we'll laugh at such megalomaniacal designs when a more
realistic and workable reality emerges.

Dale