[Web4lib] A Delicious Future for Libraries?

Maurice York maurice.york at emory.edu
Thu Nov 3 17:35:23 EST 2005

Rose-colored glasses are undesirable in any context. By the same
token, perhaps we can forego the uniformly cynical and combative
stance towards this undertaking by Google and the five libraries, and
find a more moderate and balanced center for discussion. The language
of "us versus them" is at least as counterproductive as the uncritical
praise.

To speak specifically to the "anglophone bent", we should not be so
derisive to the collection policies of Michigan, Stanford, et al as to
imagine that they have only collected books from Western countries
over the last several centuries. A significant portion of their
holdings are in non-Western languages and scripts, and they will be
scanned along with everything else. Now, granted, some search tools
for indexing and retrieving non-Roman characters and scripts would be
immensely valuable and important.

-Maurice

--
Maurice York