[Web4lib] Capturing web sites

Michael McCulley drweb at san.rr.com
Thu May 19 22:28:42 EDT 2005

I agree with Michael on Adobe PDFs, for some/majority of that type of Web
content. It is proprietary, but it's a searchable and fairly stable and
common format; it should have *some* longevitity (nothing certain there)..
and could be easy to use, train staff to archive documents etc.

OTOH, there's a Firefox extension I was trying out yesterday, and it seems a
possible idea to explore, too. It's called Scrapbook, and you store files,
notes, etc. along with the Web content. I don't know the size limits for it,
but it can be searched, "organized," import/export data, zipped (archived),
and used within other browsers; see the features' lists and FAQ for more
information.

Check it out here..
http://amb.vis.ne.jp/mozilla/scrapbook/index.php?lang=en
might be a possible application to explore further.

Best,
DrWeb
  _____

P. Michael McCulley aka DrWeb
drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/

Quote of the Moment:
 Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have
met.
Thursday, May 19, 2005 7:20:39 PM

  _____

  _____