[Web4lib] Capturing web sites

Eric Gustafson GustafsonE at lanecc.edu
Thu May 19 14:23:24 EDT 2005

The hard part as I see it is to maintain a link/trail between web based documents and the others you collect.  The only possible method I can think of offhand would be to convert everything into a paperless document management system such as Laserfiche (www.laserfiche.com).
For simply creating a local copy of webpages (aka offline browsing), I use httrack (http://www.httrack.com/) - it's free and there are flavors for various OS'.  Httrack (and most other software of this nature) leaves you with a copy that has the links re-written so a 'true' copy is not really available.  What it does do is allow you to store/transfer the pages wherever your wish (ie: burn a cd) and then view the pages using your web browser.  Other packages available don't leave you with a slew of html files and gifs * they will create a database of the pages.  The catch with those is that you usually need a special viewer.

I hope that's not too much drivel. <grin>
Eric

Eric Gustafson, Computer Support Technician
Library, Lane Community College
4000 E. 30th Ave
Eugene, OR 97405
gustafsone at lanecc.edu
541.463.5277
http://www.lanecc.edu/library/

>>> Catherine Buck Morgan <catherine at leo.scsl.state.sc.us> 05/19/2005 9:11:56 AM >>>
(Please excuse the cross-posting.)

We are a state documents depository, collecting annual reports,
directories, and other kinds of documents produced by the various
agencies in SC. As you're aware, many of these documents are now
published electronically.

Some documents are published only as an html website (including
directories and annual reports). Our problem is how to capture that and
store it so it can be accessed down the road. (At this point, I'm not
concerned with accessing it in the year 2038, just capturing it now.)

How are other libraries handling this? Are there software recommendations?

Thanks,
Catherine.
--

Catherine Buck Morgan
Director, Information Technology Services
EMAIL: catherine at leo.scsl.state.sc.us
Phone: 803.734.8651 Fax: 803.734.4757
Home page: http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov
Web catalog: http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/scslweb/welcome.html
E-Rate info: http://www.statelibrary.sc.gov/erate.html

Systems librarianship is the art and science of combining the principles
of librarianship with the abilities of computing technology. --Eric
Lease Morgan