[WEB4LIB] Hold Everything! Google Scholar *Preferences*

Shaffer, Christopher J chris-shaffer at uiowa.edu
Wed Mar 2 12:40:07 EST 2005

> Wouldn't it be better if Google simply tried to send back
> the openURL so that extensions and bookmarklets would
> work properly?

I can't speak directly to this question, but as a participant in the
pilot project, I can comment on one thing that hasn't been mentioned on
Web4Lib so far.  Everyone within the University of Iowa IP range
automatically gets the UIowa InfoLink in Google Scholar, and off-campus
access through the proxy server is coming soon.  The big advantage for
us is that we don't have to teach users to install extensions or
bookmarklets, or really do anything at all.  From the end-user's point
of view, it all happens automatically, regardless of which browser or
system they use.

-----
Chris Shaffer, M.S., Assistant Director for Public Services
Hardin Library for the Health Sciences, University of Iowa
319-335-7221 (voice) 319-353-3752 (fax)
chris-shaffer at uiowa.edu http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/