[WEB4LIB] RE: Hold Everything! Google Scholar *Preferences*

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 2 13:01:33 EST 2005

Well, but this takes us back to the root of the problem.  This still
requires Google to maintain our IP ranges/link resolvers/etc. and for us
to configure our proxy servers to work with Google Scholar (which still
doesn't work great) and for our external users to either:

A) find and add their institution from what would be a mind-bogglingly
long list
B) Go to the library's website to access Google Scholar through the
proxy, which is completely antithetical to /WHY THEY'RE USING GOOGLE
SCHOLAR IN THE FIRST PLACE/.

This was the perfect opportunity to fix this extremely flawed model of
forcing our users in through our front door to access our resources by
leveraging the power and hype of Google to explore new ways to gain
access to our collections.  Instead, we maintain the "status quo".

In the meantime, yes, there may be something needs to be installed to
make this work (although a "bookmarklet" is hardly a "burden" on the users).

I guess the point is, it seems like an army of librarians freaked out
when Google unveiled Scholar and persuaded them to make it conform to
the "way we've always done things".  Even though Google Scholar is /very
different/ than the way we've always done things.

Besides, do we do this to everything?  Scirus?  FindArticles.com?  How
much redundancy of work and resources do we have to expend before we
start coming up with some real, long-term solutions?

It's great that Google was willing to work with libraries on this, I
just wish they had been able to listen to some more ideas.

-Ross.