[Web4lib] Google Grabs 52% Of U.S. Search Share

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jun 29 10:20:18 EDT 2005

K.G. Schneider wrote:
>>Google cracked the 50 percent mark for the first time, this according to
>>Websidestory.
>>http://www.websidestory.com/products/web-
>>analytics/datainsights/spotlight/06-28-2005.html
>>
>>>From what I see in the LISNews and LISHost stats this number seems low.
>>
>>-Blake Carver
>>LISNews.com
>

> Concur from LII stats, though the devil's in the details. Although the story
> is misleading in *another* way--because a lot of people will read this and
> think it refers to internal search. I'd be curious at the market share for
> internal search whilst discussing Verity, Thunderstone, and SWISH-E in
> addition to Google Client. Plus it intrigued me how Google soon cut the cost
> of the Mini.

By way of comparison, we have some Actual Content for which I track the
referring URLs from time to time.  Based on where people are coming
from, I'm also surprised Google's percentage is this low.

For incoming hits on our electronic theses and dissertations (so, pretty
academic stuff, which is different from web content in general - caveat
lector, etc), from recognizable search engines:

  Google (all sites)	67.5%
  Yahoo	24.6%
  Scirus	4.3%
  MSN	1.0%