[Web4lib] Open WorldCat Tools

Craighton Hippenhammer CHHammer at olivet.edu
Thu Jun 2 18:24:09 EDT 2005

OCLC now has three open WorldCat-enabled Web tools including Yahoo!
Toolbar, Google Toolbar, and Firefox search extensions.  See
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/open/searchtools/default.htm.  What are
the pros and cons of each?  I've always been a bit hesitant with
toolbars because of their tendency to drag adware along.  Should I worry
about these?

The "Find Libraries with Item" functionality gives the number of miles
away that the nearest libraries that own the item are from my location.
The link to my own online catalog is handy, too, as is our statewide
library catalog.  Nice.

Craighton Hippenhammer
Library Information Technology
Olivet Nazarene University