Easy bloglines for librarians

jm235 jm235 at mizzou.edu
Tue Feb 8 20:10:58 EST 2005

Karen G. Schneider wrote:
>if I had my druthers I'd rather have a web-
>or browser-based aggregator that could come
>bundled with a brief tutorial, a default webpage,
>and a built-in list of feeds we recommend.

Bloglines for Librarians in Three (and a half) Easy Steps:
http://joy.mollprojects.com/blog/projects/quickrss.html

This isn't as cool as Karen's custom-aggregator idea, but I'm hoping it will be a quick way to get librarians who are curious about RSS aggregators started.

I came up with this because members of my study group want an introduction to RSS aggregators this week. Since we're supposed to be, ya know, studying, I wanted to make it go as quickly as possible. It seemed to me that they didn't really need to be presented with three or four options in aggregators and lists of hundreds of LIS related feeds. They just need to get something going fast to see if they like it, and let it grow from there.

The centerpiece of this 3 step system is a dummy account I created on Bloglines (at which point I discovered that Bloglines gets pretty confused if you create two accounts from one computer, but fortunately didn't break entirely). I populated this account with a small selection of feeds that show the variety of LIS content available.

I'm planning to announce this on newlib-l after I've tried it on my study group, but I wanted to run it past this group for suggestions first. Thanks!

--Joy

Joy Weese Moll, student
School of Information Science and Learning Technologies
University of Missouri

My website has moved! Read the blog, Wanderings of a Student Librarian, at this address:
http://joy.mollprojects.com/blog/