[Web4lib] Questions about filemaker pro?

Alnisa Allgood alnisa at nonprofit-tech.org
Fri Dec 23 12:42:30 EST 2005

At 10:50 AM -0500 12/23/05, Carmen Barnett wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone in a small, private library uses Filemaker
>Pro to manage their library holdings? I am impressed with its
>project and people management capabilities and was wondering how
>this would translate to documents. Also, if anyone has had success
>putting their Filemaker Pro files on the web I'd be interested in
>knowing if it was easy or not.

FileMaker can easily manage library library holdings-books, media,
and even electronic documents-small and large. Though very large
holdings (over 100,000 records) are probably better off in an SQL
database. FileMaker can handle it, but it eats up storage. For
example, my 30,000 record MySQL database takes up 10MB of space;
while my 5,000 record FileMaker database takes up 100MB.  They are
storing different things, but in general a SQL file is basically
text, and just takes up less space than FileMaker.

That said, I believe FileMaker use to ship with a template file for
book/media management that was a good starting point. But with most
things, depending on what you need, customization would most likely
be required.

One of the very nice things about FileMaker is its ability to handle
a variety of data formats; and with the power of plug-ins, you can
even use barcode scanners to enter in data. It's been a while since I
switched my personal library over to Delicious Library
(non-FileMaker), but before that I was using a FileMaker solution.

My primary reason for switching was that Delcious Library offered
direct data pulls from Amazon.com. Meaning, I could scan in the
barcode and pull name, title, author, categories, description, image,
etc. all from Amazon with practically zero manual data entry. (yeah
Amazon API !!). Since my personal collection of books, videos, DVDs,
and CDs is fairly large, not having to perform manual data entry was
pretty key.

This type of functionality can be added to FileMaker, but I didn't
want to have to script/code it in.

The benefits of FileMaker though is far larger flexibility. My
FileMaker solution could store PDFs, .mov, .doc, and other files,
directly in the system, or as a referenced file; allowed for tons of
tags, and of course I could relate things however I liked. But less
data entry was a higher priority, for me. I'm on the computer all
day; the build up of back purchases that needed to be "entered" was
over 200 items when I finally switched.

FileMaker to the web is both easy and complicated. In pure
simplicity, FileMaker is so easy to place on the web, that most
people never consider volume of hits, data redundancy, security of
original data, etc. If your providing access to a small number of
users (I say less than 10 simultaneous, or 100 overall), then just
clicking the enable web-access of FileMaker and following the simple
steps, will get you up in running in about 5-15 minutes.

But if your opening the solution to all your library patrons, which
may have thousands of potential users, then consideration of things
like FileMaker Server, a redundant infrastructure, and possible
introduction of middleware (Lasso, Tango, or PHP) to alleviate stress
on the system and increase security may be needed. Middleware
software can group queries, allow data to be cached, and other
performance enhancers.

Alnisa