[WEB4LIB] Editorial - Copyright Ownership in Blogs

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Apr 25 11:30:58 EDT 2005

A> Blogs are original material, and once they
A> are fixed in some form, saved digitally or in a print
A> out, they are protected by copyright in most countries
A> around the world. In fact, they would be protected for
A> 50 to 70 years after an author's death - much beyond
A> the life of any blog itself.

Yes, the copyright protection is a fact.  However, I don't consider
the life of a blog as being that limited.  Just think about the value
of a blog created by Shakespeare or Mozart or Abraham Lincoln or all
sorts of other folks.  Now, as to whether a blog by a future genius or
famous person will actually BE preserved is another question.  Just as
we don't have Shakespeare's rough drafts, we might not have the
blog....but if we did....

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA