[WEB4LIB] web services server suggestions

Peter Verhagen pverhagen at sapl.ab.ca
Wed Jul 14 13:17:21 EDT 2004

I've been eager to experience an Opteron server myself, largely based on this
comparison:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=1816

And with the NX bit (non-execute bit) in the Opteron, this statement from
http://hardware.earthweb.com/chips/article.php/3358421 becomes more
interesting:

"For example, with NX in place, the MSBlaster worm would still have caused a
denial-of-service (DoS) attack, but would have lost the ability to replicate
and spread to other systems."

The above is moot until Microsoft implements it in their O/S software (coming
in their next service pack I believe).

As for where one could buy an Opteron server, IBM has a blade configuration
ready:
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/opteron/325/index.html

Rack Mount Unit from HP (way upper-end?)
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl585/index.html

Just recently I had spec'd out a Dual Opteron tower/server config for our
Dynix/Horizon/IPAC server, complete with hot swappable power supplies, 2Gig
ECC PC3200 DDR, dual SCSI 36Gig 15,000rpm and 40/80 DLT1 Tape drive for about
$6,800cdn from a local OEM. Granted it didn't come with any software, but you
get the idea on the hardware pricing.