[WEB4LIB] "check shelves"

Sue Kamm suekamm at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 17 15:33:33 EDT 2004

K.G. Schneider wrote:
> I was looking at a number of web opacs (note how I carefully work in the Web
> connection) when I saw something that bothers me because I see it far too
> often now:
>
> CHECK SHELVES
>
> This is a status code I believe was intended for catalogs during their
> migration phase.  But how many opacs (which are mostly web tools now anyway)
> list status for any book not checked out or withdrawn or damaged or stolen
> as CHECK SHELVES?
Our OPAC shows three statuses (stati?) for materials:  Available,
Checked Out, Not Available.

We also show location (Main Library, branches); level (Adult, Juvenile,
YA); and whether the item is subject or fiction.

BTW, a good use for RFID tags would be to determine whether an item
really IS where in the library it's supposed to be.

--
Your friendly CyberGoddess and ALA Councilor-at-Large,
Sue Kamm
email:  suekamm at mindspring.com
Visit my homepage:  http://suekamm.home.mindspring.com/index.htm
"What I wonder is, where are all the guys who like to play baseball?"
--Wes Parker, former Dodger infielder