"check shelves"

Peter Murray Peter.Murray at uconn.edu
Sun Jul 18 08:46:06 EDT 2004

--On Friday, July 16, 2004 3:09 PM -0700 "K.G. Schneider"
<kgs at bluehighways.com> wrote:
> I was looking at a number of web opacs (note how I carefully work in
> the Web connection) when I saw something that bothers me because I
> see it far too often now:
>
> CHECK SHELVES

The trend of thinking, at least in the three times I've been in
discussions about an on-stacks status code (present employer excluded),
is that "Available" makes a promise that the patron will find the item
on the stacks.  "Check Shelves" is a weaker social contract that the
patron will likely find the item on the shelves, but we can't promise
it (it may be on in a reshelving area, on a reading table, misshelved,
etc.).

(By the way, my current employer uses the phrase "Not Checked Out",
which is more of a statement of fact rather than a suggestion as to its
availability.)

Peter
--
Peter Murray                      http://www.pandc.org/peter/work/
Assistant to the Director for Technology Initiatives  860-486-6771