ERIC question

John Creech John.Creech at cwu.EDU
Thu Jul 29 13:34:42 EDT 2004

I feel like I just crawled out from under a rock or have drunk from the
river of Lethe.  Would someone be kind enough to explain to me in simple
terms just what is going on with ERIC?  I know that they were going to
"close" and if I'm reading Web4Lib posts and the EDRS website correctly,
the new service is to debut Sept. 1.

Right now I'm reading from the EDRS page

http://www.edrs.com/Help/PriorRestructure.cfm?ID=8

and I see the following:

"On October 1, 2004, ERIC will introduce, for the first time,
free-of-charge full-text non-journal ERIC resources. These materials
include more than 105,000 full-text documents authorized for electronic
ERIC distribution during 1993 - July 2004, previously sold through
E*Subscribe from the ERIC Document Reproduction Service (EDRS). EDRS,
which also sells the ERIC microfiche, is scheduled to shut down operations
on September 30, 2004."

My university has found monies for our library to subscribe to the online
EDs.  I'm confused; sorry.  Will there still be an E*Subscribe service
whereby libraries can subscribe to online EDs?  Help?!

John Creech, Electronic Resources and Systems Librarian
Brooks Library, Central Washington University