[WEB4LIB] Re: CSS navigation bar question

Genny Engel gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Fri Jul 2 14:28:50 EDT 2004

>>> Thomas Dowling <tdowling at ohiolink.edu> 07/02/04 08:14AM >>>

BTW, does anyone know of any Palm or Pocket PC browser that observes
media="handheld"?

----------------------------

Kind of ... !

I wrote a test page.  Its "media=screen" stylesheet says:
BODY {font-family: "Times New Roman";}
H1 {color: red;}
P {text-align: right;}

Its "media=handheld" stylesheet says:
BODY {font-family: "Arial";}
H1 {background-color: yellow;}
P {font-family: "Verdana";}

The pocket PC I have (Dell Axim X3i running Windows Mobile 2003) is
rendering as follows:
H1:  red text, yellow background, Arial
P:  right aligned, Verdana

So it looks like it's using BOTH and only applying the "media=handheld"
settings where they contradict or supplement the "media=screen"
settings.

By the way, I checked the Microsoft site to see if I could find out
exactly what version of IE is in Windows Mobile 2003, and ended up at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/support/pocketpc.aspx ... now
THAT's informative ;)

Genny Engel
Internet Librarian