Google

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Tue Sep 24 14:51:43 EDT 2002

Mike Perkins says:

   Google's goals are the same as any search
   engine; to get as many people as possible to use it and to use those
   numbers to sell advertising and preferential ranking of search results.
   Helping people find information is simply a means to this end, not a
   goal.
   If the profit goal is not met, Google will go away.

I have to challenge part of that statement: "and preferential ranking of
search results."

Is there any evidence whatsoever that Google has ever sold preferential
ranking? They have said, repeatedly, that they do not do so.
They've even said that being ethical gives them a competitive advantage.

Last I heard, about half of Google's revenue came from sales of its search
engine/services to other agencies, the other half from its advertising.

That makes Google's goals a little more complicated.

I would be interested in hearing any evidence that Google's rankings are
for sale.

"They all do it" is not evidence.

Walt Crawford