Google

Steve McCann sjm2 at u.washington.edu
Tue Sep 24 15:34:15 EDT 2002

Walt,
After looking into search engine optimization this summer for a local
company I was able to locate a couple of resources you may be interested in:
1) According to SearchEngineWatch.com, Google does accept paid placement
advertising. The difference between Google and other SE's is that Google
always identifies them as paid and does not embed these ads into the
search results. Alta Vista, as an example, will throw paid inclusions
into your search results without telling you. Here is a good article
comparing the various services:
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/paid.html

2) Here is a chart showing search engine relationships--who sells their
rankings to whom, and who uses pay-per-click ranking services such as
Overture (which google does not use):
http://www.bruceclay.com/searchenginechart.pdf

It's true that Google makes money off of their search results, but I
think it's important to point out that they do so in an ethical way.

Steve McCann
University of Washington, MLIS student