HTML Referring?

James Hill hill2 at students.uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 21 15:47:12 EDT 2002

Greetings, I am a student in LIS (*shudder* right?).  Before I continue,
please let me state that I am trying to learn more HTML and that this is
NOT for a class project, but for an independent project and knowledge and
I have tried to research this as much as possible before posting here.  I
would like to further state that I am responsible for website maintenance
for a library as a Graduate Assistant, so this is why I am still on
web4lib, though I had originally signed on as a requirement for a class
last term.

That being said...

I'm trying to build a website on a server that doesn't allow scripting.
As I build more and more pages, I added a menu bar on the left of my page.
I have wanted to avoid frames, but everytime I add a new item, I have to
go through each page in the site to update that menu.  That was fine at 4
pages, but at 10 pages, it is getting rather difficult and cumbersome to
do that.

Is there a way to refer to an external HTML file without using a frameset?
I used some inline frames for the moment, but <IFRAME> is even less
supported than framesets in older browsers.  Can I do this without running
some sort of scripting or, to be blunt, am I just screwed?  From the
research I did, I haven't found a way, although I ran across the <INCLUDE>
tag, but I think that still runs a partial script (?)

Thank you for your time,
James Hill