[WEB4LIB] HTML Referring?

Michael L. McEvoy mmcevoy at tln.lib.mi.us
Mon Oct 21 16:13:15 EDT 2002

James,

	You can check if the server allows you to use Server Side
Includes (SSI). These are common on Apache servers. SSI would allow you to
excerpt the menu section into one single file, and include it in required
pages via code like this:
<!--#include file="menu.htm"-->

	This would solve your problem... but only if your server has SSI
capability. You can probably check the with Server Admin for that
information.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, James Hill wrote:

> Greetings, I am a student in LIS (*shudder* right?).  Before I continue,
> please let me state that I am trying to learn more HTML and that this is
> NOT for a class project, but for an independent project and knowledge and
> I have tried to research this as much as possible before posting here.  I
> would like to further state that I am responsible for website maintenance
> for a library as a Graduate Assistant, so this is why I am still on
> web4lib, though I had originally signed on as a requirement for a class
> last term.
>
> That being said...
>
> I'm trying to build a website on a server that doesn't allow scripting.
> As I build more and more pages, I added a menu bar on the left of my page.
> I have wanted to avoid frames, but everytime I add a new item, I have to
> go through each page in the site to update that menu.  That was fine at 4
> pages, but at 10 pages, it is getting rather difficult and cumbersome to
> do that.
>
> Is there a way to refer to an external HTML file without using a frameset?
> I used some inline frames for the moment, but <IFRAME> is even less
> supported than framesets in older browsers.  Can I do this without running
> some sort of scripting or, to be blunt, am I just screwed?  From the
> research I did, I haven't found a way, although I ran across the <INCLUDE>
> tag, but I think that still runs a partial script (?)
>
> Thank you for your time,
> James Hill

+---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Michael L. McEvoy               | Northville District Library     |
| Electronic Support Services     | http://www.northville.lib.mi.us |
| e-mail: mmcevoy at tln.lib.mi.us   | 212 W. Cady St                  |
| icq:4607376			  | Northville, MI 48167            |
| MSN:mcspoo at hotmail.com          +---------------------------------+
| 	 			  |If it was so, it might be, and if
|  /--------------------------\	  |it were so, it would be, but as it
| /    \\|//            \\|//   \ |isn't, it ain't! That's Logic.
|/    [.] [.]           (o o)    \|- L. Carroll
+-oOOo--(_)--oOOo---oOOo-(_)-oOOo-+
"I'm actually a Knight of the ergonomic table - It's like the round table,
only more comfortable to sit at."
"Elementary chaos theory tells us that all computerss will eventually turn
against their masters and run amok, in an orgy of blood and the kicking and
the biting with the metal teeth and the hurting and shoving. "