[WEB4LIB] RE: Following standards

Michael Sauers msauers at bcr.org
Wed Oct 30 15:17:02 EST 2002

> But format is a significant element of user interface, so how can you
> eliminate that from consideration?

I'm not eliminating format from consideration, I'm just willing to
compromise it for overall operability and many designers are not. For
example, when I run into a compatibility problem across browsers I am
willing to consider compromising in the design whereas many are refuse to
even consider it.

I'd still like to hear an example... (as I still insist that it can be
functional and useable while still not looking completely the same.) Really,
if we all expected everything to look exactly the same everywhere we'd all
dump graphics, color, fonts, &tc. and stick to black text on a white
background. (But wait! What about those with those old green on black
monitors. they won't see it the same either.)

What confuses me is that everyone has their limit as to how far back they'll
go but many designers refuse to move forward even when faced with evidence
that moving forward makes covering backwards easier. I just don't get it.

Michael Sauers, Librarian, Trainer & Author
Bibliographical Center for Research (BCR)
Aurora, CO :: 303-751-6277 x124 :: msauers at bcr.org
http://www.bcr.org/~msauers
a:visited {display: none}

"Make what your heart instructs, and don't let
anyone persuade you to compromise with your own
truth."  --Clive Barker
                       _
ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
 - against HTML email  X