[WEB4LIB] RE: Following standards

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Oct 30 16:35:11 EST 2002

At 03:19 PM 10/30/2002, Joyce M. Latham wrote:
>But format is a significant element of user interface, so how can you
>eliminate that from consideration?

Good interface design gives users something comprehensible, stable, and
functional (and attractive, memorable, non-distracting, etc.).  It does not
require that every user see the same thing, which as Michael pointed out is
an impossible goal on the web.  It is the very unknowability of what
happens once you send a page down the pipe that makes standards compliance
so important.  I do not know what my users are running, but I do know the
defining frameworks we're both [supposed to be] bounded by.

See
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/07/21/magazine/css_anarchist.html>
for a reminder of just how much we might not know about our pages' visual
formatting.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu