[WEB4LIB] Re: Preferred public email accounts

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Oct 7 11:27:29 EDT 2002

Yes, you're right of course.  I'm aware of that rule of thumb, and didn't previously try this.  I did this initially in preparation for my extended absence, and somewhat in the nature of an experiment.  I was as surprised as anyone as to how well it worked.  I still get spam, but I do get *less*.

A few have cropped up again, which I am keeping vague track of.  My interest has been to try to track back where they got my name/email from in the first place.  The ones that are just obviously trying *every* Yahoo! address are one thing, but those that are getting my address from another source interest me, as I'm assiduous about when I buy anything online, or deal with an online company, to check the "do not sell my name" box or whatever.  I won't do business with a company that doesn't offer me that option or which doesn't follow through on it.

This is simply an interesting hobby for me.  I know having a Yahoo account means I'm going to get spammed--the price of having free email, as far as I'm concerned.  I reduce what I can, and delete the rest.  The almost daily missives from kind gentlemen in Africa who want me to help them launder money are, at this point, a mild amusement to me.  I block and move on.  I'm far more upset by these when they come to my *home* email, which I pay for and which I give out to *no one*.

Now if only I could get Yahoo! to get rid of *blinking* banner ads, I'd be completely content :-)

Best regards,
Louise

Louise E. Alcorn     --    Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines IA 50265
(515) 222-3573      louise.alcorn at wdm-ia.com