[WEB4LIB] Re: Opera 7.0b1 released

Joseph Murphy murphyjm at kenyon.edu
Wed Nov 13 10:29:53 EST 2002

Opera 6.0 Beta 2 is also out for Mac OS X. It's a big improvement over
Beta 1, and generally performs better (in my experience) than the final
release of version 5. Has some neat features, too, like a zoom bar so I
can increase those blasted tiny fonts on pages designed for PCs.
(Version 5 will be the last version of Opera for OS 9.x and below.)

The Mac beta also had trouble with ads displaying for registered
copies, but this was fixed (supposedly) in Beta 2. So I'd assume that
the ad-sponsored mode will be taken care of somewhere between the next
Windows beta and the final.

And speaking for myself, I think it's terrific that Opera gives the
user the option of either accepting (and customizing) an ad banner, or
buying the software. (I look forward to that day when library budgets
and salaries are so high that I have nothing better to do with my piles
of cash than pay for a web browser.) But then, I've been learning how
to ignore advertising since I found out there were TV programs on other
than Sesame Street. YMMV. :-)

Joe Murphy
Librarian and Technology Consultant
Library and Information Services