[WEB4LIB] Re: Opera 7.0b1 released

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Wed Nov 13 10:59:39 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:29:35AM -0800, Joseph Murphy remarked:
> And speaking for myself, I think it's terrific that Opera
> gives the user the option of either accepting (and
> customizing) an ad banner, or buying the software.

Woohoo! Advertising - yeah, lay it on me, piled higher and
deeper!

> (I look forward to that day when library budgets and salaries
> are so high that I have nothing better to do with my piles of
> cash than pay for a web browser.)

Some people just *love* to shop...  =)

> But then, I've been learning how to ignore advertising since I
> found out there were TV programs on other than Sesame Street.
> YMMV. :-)

Suuuurrrreeee ya do.  Everybody thinks they can just 'ignore'
advertising.  Never mind that you can't even take a country
drive anymore without being assailed by billboards, all lit up
24/7.  By 2010 you'll be lucky if you can even look at the moon
without having to 'ignore' the Marlboro-Man-in-the-Moon.  And of
course the advertisers who spend piles of cash on advertising
agree with you too  ;)  "Hey Jim-Bob, let's spend some more $$$
on Big Fat Ads so that they can be 'completely ignored' - yuck
yuck yuck".  Have a cigar..."

Remember friend - you were *born to consume* (remember?),
chasing 'happiness' in the marketplace like a desert mirage.
Ignorance is bliss...

[We now return you to your regular web browsing experience...]

Wake up Neo,
Raymond