Hartford CT report claims FBI monitors library Internet usage

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Tue Nov 5 18:01:53 EST 2002

Here's an article from the online version of the Hartford Courant that might
interest this forum.  The claim goes to active and ongoing monitoring of
Internet use at public terminals, not just "records" sought on individuals
under the Patriot act.  Kind of surprising that other media haven't picked
up on this; the reporter doesn't make clear what his evidence is.  Excerpted
below; entire article online. /rich

The FBI Has Bugged Our Public Libraries
November 3, 2002

http://www.ctnow.com/features/lifestyle/hc-privacy1103.artnov03col.story

Some reports say the FBI is snooping in the libraries. Is that really
happening?

Yes. I have uncovered information that persuades me that the Federal Bureau
of Investigation has bugged the computers at the Hartford Public Library.
And it's probable that other libraries around the state have also been
bugged. It's an effort by the FBI to obtain leads that it believes may lead
them to terrorists.

Many members of the public regularly use computers in libraries to access
the Internet for research purposes or to locate information about particular
interests. It's also not uncommon for students and others to communicate
with friends and relatives through e-mail from there.

The FBI system apparently involves the installation of special software on
the computers that lets the FBI copy a person's use of the Internet and
their e-mail messages. (Don't ask me how I know about this because I can't
reveal how I was able to collect the information.) Members of the public who
use the library have not been informed that the government is watching their
activities. It's not just the computers. Circulation lists that show which
books someone borrowed are also accessible to the government.

What are the Hartford librarians saying?    ...