Filtering and shared OPACs

Mike Mitchell mitchmd at lithgow.lib.me.us
Tue May 28 14:07:25 EDT 2002

This CIPA thing has got me wondering- if a library uses an Internet filter
that is tied to banned key words, as many are, and shares a Web-based
off-site server for its ILS- then how does one find a book like Sex and
destiny : the politics of human fertility? Wouldn't the display of that
info be blocked unless one could specify the server IP as unblocked? Even
if one could exclude the home server from the filter, what happens when
patrons search other OPACs looking for Sex and destiny : the politics of
human fertility? How do libraries deal with this OPAC issue? Or are they
just darned glad their kids aren't exposed to such filth over the Internet
even if it is hidden right there on the shelf?
	Forgive me if this starts The Debate all over again. I'm really wondering
about this question though.

Michael Mitchell
Systems Librarian
Lithgow Public Library