Reference futures?

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Tue May 28 13:43:49 EDT 2002

I'm wrapping up preparations for a talk I'll be giving at an ALA
preconference on virtual reference services, and I wanted to get some
reactions to a few questions:

1. Figuring that the future of virtual reference services may in some way be
linked to in-library, face-to-face reference services, what do you see as
the future of "traditional" reference services? Some data show that the
number of reference questions asked has been declining for a number of
years. Other data show little change in the number of questions asked, or
even a slight increase. Do you think face-to-face reference services will
become more important in the future? Less important? Why?

2. What do you see as the future of virtual reference services? Both in the
technical sense and the programmatic sense. What new technologies or
functions will we see, or would you like to see? Will virtual reference
catch on so that it serves a critical mass of your library's users? Or will
virtual reference remain a supplement to face-to-face reference, serving a
"niche" market?

Thanks!

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning and Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801

Phone: (217) 333-4895