linking remote results w/local holdings... and some PHP

Fernando Gómez fgomez at criba.edu.ar
Fri May 17 14:21:12 EDT 2002

Hello.

I am just experimenting with the following project: develop an interface
which allows patrons or staff to perform a search in a (web based)
abstracting database, and, before displaying the results, highlight in some
way those results which correspond to journals available in our library. It
involves a bit of HTML parsing, and a good dosis of luck, as it is not
guaranteed that matches will be always correctly found. But in any case, it
seems to be a worthwhile addition to a library OPAC (even if you have to
alert about its fallibility) because in many situations it could save
patrons a double search.

Now, the tools. I am inclined to do this with PHP; it has several functions
to fetch a remote page and treat it essentially as an array or a string. My
problem right now is that things like fopen("remote file") are working only
with some sites, and not with many others (including the one I intend to
work with!). So a bit of PHP expertise regarding these issues would be
appreciatted. I am developing under Windows ME + Apache 2.0.36.

Also, I would like to know if anyone has worked in a similar project, and
what experiences you would like to share. Maybe there are also some
copyright issues around here?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Fernando J. Gómez