[WEB4LIB] Re: The word "listserv" TRADEMARKED

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed Jun 12 12:02:41 EDT 2002

Arrggh.  I thought we'd buried this horse before the Belmont. Humor noted,
example unpersuasive.

Trademark case law is very clear.  When a company fails to protect a
trademark, it can fall into the public domain.  "Aspirin" is still a Bayer
trademark in Canada but in the US it's a generic term.

So yes people in informal usage say "hand me a Kleenex" but if I were a
library printing a list of services I'd say "facial tissue is available in
the rest room".   (Ditto "Copy Center" over "Xerox Room")

I would have guessed that folks in this crowd would feel some affinity for
Eric Thomas, a real human being who created some very important software,
but if not, Lsoft is as aggressive in defending its mark as Kimberly Clark
is theirs.

Libraries face enough real issues over intellectual property these days
(DMCA, fair use).  There is no need to pick battles that don't benefit
patrons.

/rich (at SLA not listening to Doris Kearns Goodwin on plagiarism)

On Tue, 11 June 2002, Vickie Kline wrote