[WEB4LIB] Vendors Who Borrow from One Another

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jul 29 13:48:11 EDT 2002

Howard:
>>I realize that vendors need to offer products which are competitive to stay
>>in business, but it gets a little ridiculous when they end of stealing web
>>pages from one another without even bothering to change the font.

Bill:
>The real question is now:
>
>Which came first, ExLibris or Endeavor?

I submit that I specified Arial in a web page back in 1995, so ultimately
they both stole from me.  :->

Ex Libris knows that their SFX bread is buttered on the open standards side
(to mangle a metaphor), so it's reasonable to suppose they're willing to
share what they know about OpenURL support.  And it's entirely reasonable
to suppose that the Endeavor folks, trying to explain LinkFinder Plus to
their own customers, asked for and got permission to use the list on the
www.sfxit.com site.  At most, I'd say it's uncharitable for the Endeavor
list to leave out Ex Libris.

BTW, while the NISO page is at
<http://www.niso.org/committees/committee_ax.html>, the actual work being
done by the committee can be tracked at the committee's home page,
<http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/>.

Also BTW, are there any actual LinkFinder Plus users yet?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu