[WEB4LIB] WinU problems?

Jim Didonato jdidonato at rla.lib.il.us
Tue Jul 9 14:36:37 EDT 2002

Eric,

My name is Jim DiDonato, and I am the Head of Technology at the Round Lake
Area Library in Round Lake Illinois.  We are currently running WinU version
5.1 with Windows 98 and using Internet Explorer version 6.0.  We have been
using WinU with this configuration for almost 2 years and have not had the
trouble you're describing.  We added Public Web Browser as an Internet
Explorer front-end a few months ago, and PWB has worked almost flawlessly
during this time.

Here are a couple of things you may want to check:

1.) Make sure power saving features in the BIOS are either disabled or
enabled but set to never shut down your computers.

2.) Make sure you have the latest patches / plug-ins for both Windows 2000
and Netscape.

3.) You could always test this with Internet Explorer.  (Please forgive me
if this suggestion is next to heresy at your library.  We went with IE when
Netscape quit releasing updates a few years ago and haven't moved back
since.)

4.) If you're pulling the WinU configuration file (clone.bds) from a server
drive, you may want to make sure the permissions are set so each workstation
has access to the WinU directory.  2000 permissions can cause some weird
problems if not set correctly.  alternately, you could try saving the WinU
configuration file to the hard drive of a machine to test this out.

Good luck!!

-Jim