[WEB4LIB] IE not displaying JPEGS

Bill Teschek bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us
Wed Jan 16 16:26:25 EST 2002

Two more things I forgot to mention...   Yes, IE is configured to
display images. Web pages using an http link display images just
fine. Secondly, this computer recently suffered from an attack of the
Magistr virus, and several executables were corrupted. I had to
copy working versions of such programs as notepad and wordpad
from another computer because they wouldn't work after the attack.
So perhaps there is yet another corrupt file somewhere?

Bill Teschek

> I'm hoping someone can help me with what is probably a simple fix.
> On one of our computers running IE 5.5, when I try to view an html
> page with images, and the URL is a drive/path rather than an http
> link, the images won't display. The web page itself will display just
> fine, with the URL reading z:\library\....\filename.htm, but the images
> on those pages are only showing placeholders. The link to the
> image is correct, as the same pages work fine on all other
> computers in the building, and this computer does have full rights to
> the image folders on z:
>
> When I cut and paste the drive/path URL from IE into Netscape,
> Netscape will display the image properly. Just before this happened
> I changed this computer's default browser from Netscape to IE
> using the set default browser utility located on the Public Web
> Browser website. I don't know if IE would have worked properly
> before this change, because we were not using it on this particular
> computer.
>
> Another clue perhaps... jpegs are associated with LView on this
> computer. When I add an href link to the img src link on this page, it
> should allow me to click on the image and display that image alone
> and separate from the rest of the page, but even that will only
> display a placeholder. The LView icon appears before the drive/path
> URL in the address bar.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Bill Teschek
> Assistant Director