IE not displaying JPEGS

Bill Teschek bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us
Wed Jan 16 16:04:00 EST 2002

I'm hoping someone can help me with what is probably a simple fix.
On one of our computers running IE 5.5, when I try to view an html
page with images, and the URL is a drive/path rather than an http
link, the images won't display. The web page itself will display just
fine, with the URL reading z:\library\....\filename.htm, but the images
on those pages are only showing placeholders. The link to the
image is correct, as the same pages work fine on all other
computers in the building, and this computer does have full rights to
the image folders on z:

When I cut and paste the drive/path URL from IE into Netscape,
Netscape will display the image properly. Just before this happened
I changed this computer's default browser from Netscape to IE
using the set default browser utility located on the Public Web
Browser website. I don't know if IE would have worked properly
before this change, because we were not using it on this particular
computer.

Another clue perhaps... jpegs are associated with LView on this
computer. When I add an href link to the img src link on this page, it
should allow me to click on the image and display that image alone
and separate from the rest of the page, but even that will only
display a placeholder. The LView icon appears before the drive/path
URL in the address bar.

Ideas?

Bill Teschek
Assistant Director