FW: Desperately seeking

Kevil, L H. KevilL at missouri.edu
Wed Jan 2 16:24:44 EST 2002

Hi Eric,

It could be very plausibly argued that librarians DID in fact go wrong -
part wrong, at least - with respect to serial cataloguing. It is common
knowledge that serials are hard to find in the typical catalogue. As the
former head of a serials unit I am perhaps overly sensitive to the many ways
users and library staff can fail to locate a desired serial. But it is clear
that these failures unfortunately lead many users to give up and just take
to the periodicals room, the stacks, or an alphabetical list.

To follow this train of thought a bit, it seems to me that if OpenURL is to
succeed, we will need a really good way for human beings and machines to
locate serials in library catalogues and other places. ISSN, for several
reasons, is not the universal and persistent identifier we need. I would be
interested in your thoughts on this problem.

L. Hunter Kevil
Collection Development Librarian
176 Elmer Ellis Library
University of Missouri-Columbia