[WEB4LIB] RE: Mozilla 1.2.1 is out

Andrew I. Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Dec 3 16:40:09 EST 2002

Bill,

The primary differences between K-Meleon and Mozilla are:

1) K-Meleon runs only on Windows operating systems. This is because it
replaces the Mozilla XUL interface with a Windows native interface. On
slower systems, this results in an appreciable difference in terms of
system resources used and the speed of the browser. However, this
generally means that it is not available for other OS's (discounting
emulation options).

2) K-Meleon is designed to be fully customizable allowing users to add and
remove every menu, context menu and toolbar button that they desire.
Mozilla is less customizable in this regard. It is possible to make all of
those modifications in Mozilla if you are willing to hack the code.
K-Meleon allows you to do that right through the browser interface. In a
library setting, especially for OPACs, it makes for a much more secure
package.

3) K-Meleon is a web-browser only product. It does not include a web page
editor or support for mail and newsgroups.  Mozilla is a browser suite
although Phoenix is providing a browser-only package using the Mozilla
code and a XUL interface.

I think those are the main "philosophical" differences. I can expound on
the details if you are interested.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library