[WEB4LIB] Re: Public Browser and CIPA?

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Fri Apr 5 10:51:30 EST 2002

AIM> CIPA requires that you block pornographic images, not pornography in
AIM> general. I know, it makes no sense, that's what you get from politicians.

However, it doesn't forbid you choosing, by policy, to block porn text
as well.  Many libraries choose to block both.  (I don't personally
support blocking content of any sort, but I'm also not the Director of
the East Bible Belt Public Library District, either.)

AIM> That means that you need a browser that supports image blocking first.
AIM> Actually, it has occured to me that the best CIPA compliant browser would
AIM> be LYNX.

True.  But, again, if you block "all" porn, you're also blocking the
images.

AIM> In regards to a "blacklist", CIPA spells out the material that is required
AIM> to be blocked. As these are legal definitions, they raise the possibility
AIM> that a legal challenge could be raised if the blacklist is overly broad.

True.  But an awful lot of libraries are getting the pressure from the
other side, the side that wants anything from Harry Potter to Judy
Blume to hardcore sex with animals blocked.

AIM> Also, remember that CIPA does not authorize blocking pornographic "text"
AIM> so a blacklist that does block text could cause problems. CIPA also does
AIM> not make a distinction between public and staff computers so add that into
AIM> your deliberation.

CIPA doesn't have to "authorize" blocking anything you want, nor does
it forbid it.  In other words, CIPA gives a description of the minimum
you must block, but there is no maximum.

cheers

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA